Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“Be an outlier. Play a game no one else is playing.” With success in developing both corporate marketing and political campaigns, Phillips Stutts knows how to win big. As founder of Win BIG Media and Go BIG Media he helps clients across the board do just that. Recently, he’s trained his focus on fighting his own rare, incurable disease. We talked about overcoming obstacles, innovating, and winning this week on the On Brand podcast.
Enjoy This Episode Now
About Phillip Stutts
Phillip Stutts is fighting a rare, incurable disease. Diagnosed in 2012 with the esophageal disease, Achalasia, he spent five years ignoring it. Frankly, he put his head in the sand, taking medications that did more harm than good, and waiting for the inevitable. Then he woke up and said no more. His mission today is to find a cure and pursue a life of constant growth and giving. And he’s making progress.
Phillip is also the author of Fire Them Now: The 7 Lies Digital Marketers Sell…, an Amazon bestseller, and one of the masterminds behind the curtain of political marketing. With more than 20 years of political and marketing experience, Stutts has worked with multiple Fortune 200 companies, has over two decades of experience working on campaigns with billions of dollars in political ad spend, and contributed to over 1,200 election victories, including hundreds of U.S. House campaigns, dozens of U.S. Senate campaigns, and even three U.S. Presidential victories.
He is the founder and executive chairman of Go BIG Media (a political media firm) and the founder and CEO of Win BIG Media (a corporate marketing agency). Together, these companies have won more than 41 national awards for marketing and creative content.
“We’re competing using the most-winning formula in the world.” With success across the domains of corporate marketing and politics, Phillip shared the five-step formula his companies Win BIG Media and Go BIG Media use:
- Customer research — “You have to have a deep dark understanding of your customers. It’s not just the Google Analytics.”
- Find alignment — “Data drives everything. Tell me why you want to run for office and why you want to win? Then find what the audience wants and look for alignment.”
- Build the brand — “It’s all about the brand.” But be careful. “Is it what you want or what the customer wants?”
- A/B test — “Not guessing. Use this to find your positive and negative advertising. Or, as we call it, ‘comparatising.’”
- Launch — “Finally, based on what works, launch a full-force campaign.”
What brand has made Phillip smile recently? To succeed today, Phillip says you have to, “Be an outlier. Play a game no one else is playing.” That’s why the brand he chose that made him smile was Arby’s with their new “Megetable”—a vegetable made of meat!
More on Arby’s “Megetable” and being an outlier. Phillip wrote about these topics recently in a piece on Medium.
To learn more, go to PhillipStutts.com.
As We Wrap …
Did you hear something you liked on this episode or another? Do you have a question you’d like our guests to answer? Let me know on Twitter using the hashtag #OnBrandPodcast and you may just hear your thoughts here on the show.
On Brand is sponsored by my book Brand Now. Discover the seven dynamics to help your brand stand out in our crowded, distracted world. Order now and get special digital extras. Learn more.
- Subscribe to the podcast – You can subscribe to the show via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, TuneIn, and RSS.
- Rate and review the show – If you like what you’re hearing, head over to Apple Podcasts and click that 5-star button to rate the show. And, if you have a few extra seconds, write a couple of sentences and submit a review. This helps others find the podcast.
- OK. How do you rate and review a podcast? Need a quick tutorial on leaving a rating/review in iTunes? Check this out.
Until next week, I’ll see you on the Internet!