Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“There’s a gravity to shiny new objects and tactics that people can easily fall prey to.” As CEO of TopRank Marketing, Lee Odden helps both B2B and B2C clients overcome the obstacles of today’s shiny new things. He’s also the author of Optimize and an expert on influencer marketing. We discussed all of this and more on this week’s episode of the podcast.
Enjoy This Episode Now
About Lee Odden
Lee Odden is the CEO of TopRank Marketing, a Minneapolis based digital marketing agency specializing in strategic internet marketing consulting services including: Content Marketing, Influencer Marketing, Organic and Paid Search Marketing, Organic and Paid Social Media, Online PR, Email and Conversion Optimization.
Odden and his team have provided digital marketing consulting and services for some of the leading B2B and B2C companies including: McKesson, BT Syntegra, Virgin Pulse, Marketo, LinkedIn, Dell, Henry Schein, HP, Microsoft, Staples, General Mills, Content Marketing Institute, Copyblogger Media, and MarketingProfs.
Odden has been frequently cited for his digital marketing and PR expertise by leading industry and business publications including Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Economist, Entrepreneur, and Fortune Magazine. Lee is author of, Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media and Content Marketing.
A sought after public speaker, Odden has keynoted numerous digital marketing industry conferences and has given nearly 200 presentations in 13 different countries over the past 10 years.
The trouble with strategy. I’m a huge fan of Lee’s book Optimize. The first part focuses on developing a marketing strategy. While most marketers acknowledge the importance of strategy, few devote appropriate time and resources. “Strategy is like the Loch Ness Monster of Marketing. There are sightings but it’s hard to find!”
Where to start with strategy? With Q4 on the horizon and a strategy deficit, many may be wondering where to start for the new year ahead. “Start by getting some clarity around your organizational goals and your customer needs. Then you can think about how to develop marketing that solves your business problems.”
How do you know when influencer marketing is a good fit? Lee is also an expert on the topic of influencer marketing. Like strategy, many like the idea of influencer marketing but few know where to begin. “Start with ‘why.’ Why does it make sense to partner and co-create content? Especially if it’s for free?” With the right influencer relations in place, you can find the right people to help you create content that is the “best answer” for your community.
What’s next in marketing? Lee pointed to Scott Brinker’s infographic featuring over 3,800 martech solutions! (Below.) In short, marketers today are overwhelmed but help could be getting closer as Lee points to increases in participatory marketing. “Participation makes marketing more scalable — more efficient and effective.”
What brand has made Lee smile recently? While in Cleveland, Lee had an amazing Uber experience riding in a BMW 7 series. “It was like getting in a spaceship. That made me smile!”
To learn more, go to the Top Rank Marketing website. You can also connect with him on Twitter and LinkedIn.
As We Wrap …
Before we go, I want to flip the microphone around to our community … This week Lee and I will both be speaking at the Social Media Rockstar Event in Willmar, Minnesota. Come see us both! Big thanks to Sarah Kuglin for putting this great event on!
Did you hear something you liked on this episode or another? Do you have a question you’d like our guests to answer? Let me know on Twitter using the hashtag #OnBrandPodcast and you may just hear your thoughts here on the show.
- Subscribe to the podcast – You can subscribe to the show via iTunes, Stitcher, and RSS.
- Rate and review the show – If you like what you’re hearing, head over to iTunes and click that 5-star button to rate the show. And if you have a few extra seconds, write a couple of sentences and submit a review. This helps others find the podcast.
- OK. How do you rate and review a podcast? Need a quick tutorial on leaving a rating/review in iTunes? Check this out.
- Remember – On Brand is brought to you by my new book — Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small. Order now at Amazon and check out GetScrappyBook.com for special offers and extras.
- And finally a reminder that On Brand is brought to you by the Social Brand Forum. This premier digital marketing experience takes place September 22-23 in beautiful Iowa City, Iowa. Learn from experts like Jay Baer, Joe Pulizzi, and Gini Dietrtich in the heart of the heartland. Listeners of the show get the best rate when they register using promo code ONBRAND at socialbrandforum.com.
Until next week, I’ll see you on the Internet!