Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“There’s a common theme to everything I do — I create content that helps people.” And Peter Shankman does just a few things as an author, speaker, entrepreneur, and thought leader on topics ranging from public relations, customer service, and working with ADHD. He’s also this week’s guest on the On Brand podcast.
Enjoy This Episode Now
About Peter Shankman
Peter Shankman is an entrepreneur, CEO, runner, skydiver, podcaster, Ironman Triathlete, and most importantly, a dad. He’s the founder of ShankMinds: Breakthrough, a private, online entrepreneur community with hundreds of members around the world. He’s perhaps best known for founding Help a Reporter Out, the largest source repository in the world, which fundamentally changed how journalists source their stories. His customer service and social media clients have included Re/Max, NBC/Universal, American Express, NBC, Universal, E Entertainment, Sprint, the US Department of Defense, Royal Bank of Canada, Saudi Aramco, Snapple, Walt Disney World, and many others.
Peter is the author of five books, including his most recent best seller, Zombie Loyalists: Using Great Service to Create Rabid Fans, and the upcoming Faster Than Normal: Turbocharge Your Focus, Productivity, and Success with the Secrets of the ADHD Brain (Tarcher Perigee, 2017) Peter also hosts the top-rated Faster Than Normal Podcast, helping people understand that ADD and ADHD is a gift, not a curse. He’s based in NYC.
On building a personal brand with diverse areas of focus: “I’m very lucky to do things that I like to do. Someone told me earlier in my career that you have to earn money to enjoy the time you’re not working. That sounded crazy.”
Shankman frequently appears on cable news talking about President Trump’s personal brand. His take? “You can get a lot of people to look at you by jumping up and down. Eventually, it’s misdirection.”
When is a new project — like Shankman’s Faster Than Normal podcast and book — a stand-alone brand? “I let my audience do that. I learned from HARO that the audience will tell you what to do. I care about what I am building and how I can help people.”
What brand has made Peter smile recently? “The Royal Mansour in Morocco. I have no status, no points.” Which made their customer service win even bigger.
To learn more, go to shankman.com, shankminds.com, and the Faster Than Normal podcast.
As We Wrap …
Before we go, I want to flip the microphone around to our community …
Recently, Bruce Kennedy gave us a shout on Twitter as a podcast he likes listening to. Thanks for listening!
Did you hear something you liked on this episode or another? Do you have a question you’d like our guests to answer? Let me know on Twitter using the hashtag #OnBrandPodcast and you may just hear your thoughts here on the show.
- Subscribe to the podcast – You can subscribe to the show via iTunes, Stitcher, and RSS.
- Rate and review the show – If you like what you’re hearing, head over to iTunes and click that 5-star button to rate the show. And if you have a few extra seconds, write a couple of sentences and submit a review. This helps others find the podcast.
- OK. How do you rate and review a podcast? Need a quick tutorial on leaving a rating/review in iTunes? Check this out.
- Register now for Social Brand Forum 2017 — September 14, 2017, at the Iowa Memorial Union featuring past On Brand guests Jason Falls, Marcus Sheridan, Melissa Agnes, and more. Learn more.
- Remember – On Brand is brought to you by my new book — Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small. Order now at Amazon and check out GetScrappyBook.com for special offers and extras.
Until next week, I’ll see you on the Internet!