Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“It doesn’t matter where you interact with us — you’re part of our community.” Being on the community team at SEO software giant Moz isn’t just focusing on social media. As senior community manager, Erica McGillivray interacts with the brand’s community both online and off. As you’ll learn, Erica also has a formidable comic book collection. We talked about all of this and more on this week’s On Brand podcast.
Enjoy This Episode Now
About Erica McGillivray
Erica McGillivray spends a ridiculous amount of time being geeky, both professionally and personally. At Moz, she’s the senior community manager, wrangling 500,000+ people and co-running their annual conference MozCon. Erica also is a founder of GeekGirlCon, is a published author, and has a comic book collection that’s an earthquake hazard. Follow her at @emcgillivray.
How does community management work at Moz? Erica is a part of a six person team charged with the three aspects of community management at Moz — social media, onsite Q & A/forums, and live events including MozCon and MozTalks.
A powerful benefit of hosting live events? “People have created friendships with each other at our events.” Being a convener of value, support, and friendship is a powerful role for a brand to play in a person’s life.
What about brand advocacy? “We actually have been lucky because we haven’t had to do a lot of purposeful brand advocacy. We help our community, we answer questions, we host great events.” All of this has helped Moz create a brand rich with advocates simply by being helpful and providing value.
Erica loves comic books. I love comic books. How can we make this episode about comic books?!? We sure tried! Actually we had a very on brand discussion on the state of comic books. While the blockbuster films from Marvel and DC get a lot of attention they don’t always connect the dots as effectively as they could on the related books. Erica gave us some great inside information on the role of distribution in the equation.
What comic book would Erica recommend? “The Midnighter series. He’s basically the gay Batman. And he kills people a lot more.” Sounds awesome! Check out Midnighter now.
What brand has made Erica smile recently? “Herschel bags.” Erica had a great customer service experience via Twitter when a borrowed bag broke. “They saved me from being the bad guy who broke the bag!”
To learn more about Erica, you can follow her on Twitter, check out the Moz blog, and her comic book review site sliverofice.com.
As We Wrap …
Before we go, I want to flip the microphone around to our community …
This week, I want to give a shout out to my friends at Marketo. I’ll be doing a free #GetScrappy webinar coming up on July 21st. Register now.
Did you hear something you liked on this episode or another? Do you have a question you’d like our guests to answer? Let me know on Twitter using the hashtag #OnBrandPodcast and you may just hear your thoughts here on the show.
- Subscribe to the podcast – You can subscribe to the show via iTunes, Stitcher, and RSS.
- Rate and review the show – If you like what you’re hearing, head over to iTunes and click that 5-star button to rate the show. And if you have a few extra seconds, write a couple of sentences and submit a review. This helps others find the podcast.
- OK. How do you rate and review a podcast? Need a quick tutorial on leaving a rating/review in iTunes? Check this out.
- Remember – On Brand is brought to you by my new book — Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small. Order now at Amazon and check out GetScrappyBook.com for special offers and extras.
- And finally a reminder that On Brand is brought to you by the Social Brand Forum. This premier digital marketing experience takes place September 22-23 in beautiful Iowa City, Iowa. Learn from experts like Jay Baer, Joe Pulizzi, and Gini Dietrtich in the heart of the heartland. Listeners of the show get the best rate when they register using promo code ONBRAND at socialbrandforum.com.
Until next week, I’ll see you on the Internet!